Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Welcome back to the USA

Well peeps, we finally made it back to the good old United States. After leaving our housing we boarded the first buss back to the Sydney International Airport. When we got there, we were ushered off to baggage check where we waited about 45 min for people to show up and take our luggage. Angelica went and sniffed out a Starbucks (that girl can find a Starbucks anywhere in the world, I swear) and got me a Mcdonalds BigMac. We waited, checked our luggage and hurried off to security and customs. We found our gate and sat for about an hour and a half then boarded the plane. We were scheduled to leave at 3pm, however we taxied to the runway at 2:45. The flight to Honolulu was uneventful, and I grabbed some sleep. Arriving in Honolulu was great, but we had to take everything, claim our checked baggage and go through customs. This took very little time considering how many people that went through. Angelica found another Starbucks and so graciously bought me a blueberry (my favorite) muffin and an apple juice. She got a "tall iced white mocha in a grande cup with extra whip." If you know Angelica, you know that its the only thing she gets there and is completely obsessed with it. I can't knock her for it, because she likes it and it makes her happy. We both went shopping in the terminal for some gifts and took a pic or two of us in Hawaii. We both bought "lays" even though they were plastic (and I noticed later, made in china). We boarded the plane for the final trip back home. Almost 9 hrs later, we touched down in Pittsburgh and disembarked to a hero's welcome. Coming down the escalator was amazing. There were at least a thousand people there with banners, flags, balloons, and of course tons of hugs. Baggage claim was problematic due to the number of people, however everybody eventually went home, tired and exhausted. My round trip journey to the other side of the world was amazing. I look forward to another World Youth Day, however I do not want to be pilgrim media. One or the other will be fine with me. I want to thank everyone for their love and support thorough out this trip and for being loyal to our blog. Having a strong support system at home only made this trip easier, knowing that all of you were following along every step of the way. Keep checking our blog for more updates and what else is going on "post Sydney" So I say thank you to all in the typical Australian style: "Cheers Mate"

No comments: