Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Our day in Sydney

So we explored this very beautiful city today. We went all around the harbor, doing some standups, walked down to barangaroo park, across the harbor bridge, and bondai beach. We walked right by the house where MTV's the Real World Sydney was filmed. COOL! Stopped at this awesome restaurant which had a view of the harbor. What was cool was every meal costs under $10.00. Now back in the states, it would have costs us alot more. We explored the city today by taking trains and buses. The magic of this event is that there are these WYD volunteers that pop up right at the perfect moment, when you think you are lost, to help guide you in the right direction. We now look for these "people in purple" to get us everywhere. The beach was perfect, and the water was cool, but still bearable. I met a girl from Argentina on the long ride to Bondi Beach. Her flight was twice as long as mine and what really surprised me was that she spoke perfect English. They learn Spanish and English from kindergarden. Also at Bondi Beach I met two young men from Qatar. We exchanged pins and spoke for a while. Their flight was shorter than ours. It is very interesting speaking with people from all around the world, not knowing if they speak english, but yet still communicating even if they do not. Its wonderful what a simple smile and a wave can do. What i find completely amazing is that fact that everyone here is very happy, courteous, kind, agreeable, and mostly holy. There is something about being here that is different. I don't know if its the pilgrims, the events, the people of Australia or maybe just the fact that we're lonely in a far off country, but I find the experience here amazing. I am at a loss of words at how things are here, but I can say now that you have to be here to experience it. I have a completely different view on people, society, and the future of the Catholic religion.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew that you would gravitate to the beach soon or later. It always feels good to have the sand beneath your feet. Reminds you of your favorite place this time of the year at Sunset Point, Erie PA. I'm sure all your kite flying and wind surfing friends would be jealous. Too bad you are working and don't have time to wind surf there. The pictures are great.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamey,
When I saw you on the beach I needed to know.... any kites? We missed you this past weekend at Sunset Point. It's fun to read your postings, what else is in store for the week? Did you see Pope Benedict yet? Have a great week!
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Its great to see some pictures. That beach looks fantastic. The sand looks so soft. I expected you to pull a Rev out of your backpack and start flying. Cant wait to see and hear more. I think I understand the language, but you got me on burger and salad. I take it that it doesnt mean lettuce?

Jamey Stewart said...

Yes. Burger and salad is Lettuce and carrots and such. wierd combination, so i get a burger w/o salad.

Jamey Stewart said...

BTW. McDonalds doesn't server Burgers with salad. Only the aussie places. HOWEVER McDonalds doesn't taste the same. They use different oil to fry the fries in.. But it is the closed food to home they have here.