Saturday, July 19, 2008

Final Mass and final WYD event

Well.. its over. We just left the final mass for wyd 2008. The pope flew over us all in his private helicopter and then arrived via the pope-mobile (which is a Mercedes Benz btw). We sat in the media section due to all pilgrim sections being closed off. We just couldn't get to our group before the mass started, then we would be stuck. When the pope arrived, he drove through the crowd in his pope-mobile. I got a pretty good view of him, however angelica won the battle of shots with her little camera, it has a longer zoom.. We stuck around for a while then bugged out of mass, trying to avoid the 1/2 million people rush out of there. On the walk out, we happened upon the pope-mobile. It was on its way out, so we followed it. We ended up walking basically right up to it and took some video. It was empty none the less, but as I got a good shot of the seat, I thought, "so this is what its like to be the pope..." :p We took our transportation back (being media, we get special shuttle buses to and from the venue) to the Media Center, and here I sit, writing my blog so all of my faithful readers can keep up with my travels. In a few minutes I will lock up my camera and 45lb bag in a locker and us three will go eat lunch together as people, not journalists. After, we will get or things from IMC, then head back to housing to get some sit down interviews. THEN WE LEAVE! I suppose I should try to say something deep here.. When I was offered this trip to Australia, I thought, "wow, what a great place to go," however I didn't realize it was a pilgrimage for myself. Being media, we got some special privileges however it still was a journey, spiritually, for me. Being in the presence of the Holy Father was inspiring. Sitting in a crowd of 1/2 million people to celebrate mass was inspiring. Sydney itself was inspiring. I come back tomorrow with a different view of people, the world, and of course my faith. I didn't expect to come back with any experience, but what I learned is that even though you don't come for an experience, you have one no matter what. The trip, pilgrimage, was the experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well its time to reflect on what you have seen, heard and done now that it is over. The stress of the job you went to do is over. I think you will be reflecting for a long time to absorb every emotion that you felt during the week. As you relive these experiences through your video while editing and creating your masterpiece I think things will be more clear as to what you were sent to do. The opportunity you had was God given. A wonderful end to an amazing week. See you soon. Love, Mom

Br. Gabriel, O.S.B. said...

It looks as though the Lord truly blessed you on this pilgrimage to be with our Holy Father and young Catholic from around the world...what an amazing opportunity, give Him thanks!!! I look forward to hearing more about the pilgrimage as you return. Safe and holy travels.
Br Gabriel Myriam, O.S.B.